Michael Andersen and Sons Pottery began in the late 1800's as a small pottery run by Jens Michael Andersen who had trained at Hjorth's Pottery. It was situated in Ronne on the small island of Bornholm, Denmark, which has often been called the Danish Potter's Isle. Production began with kitchen items and decorative pieces in the Greek style.
Andersen had four sons who grew up working in the pottery and as they grew they developed their own style and artistic flare. Their designs and glazes won awards and in 1930 the new Persia technique used in glazing won a gold medal at the World Exhibition in Brussels.
During the middle of the 20th Century Marianne Stark was employed to develop art pottery which became very successful. Various artists were employed including Knud Kyhn. This period produced many fine works keenly sought after today.
Initially Michael Andersen pieces were marked to the base with a factory stamp in gothic lettering. After 1930 pieces were marked with the three herring mark which was the same as Ronne's coat of arms. The earlier pieces have a chunky raised herring mark and later pieces have a flat impressed mark.