The Holmegaard Glassworks was created in 1825 by the widow of Count Samsoee after applying to the Danish King to build an industrial glass works in the Danish bog at Holmegaard.
The Glassworks manufactured green bottles to begin with but with expansion prioritised the production of clear glass. A second glassworks was later established around 1850 in Copenhagen, called Kastrup, where it had closer access to shipping so imported coal could fire the furnaces instead of the dirty peat. All bottle production was eventually moved to Kastrup and Holmegaard concentrated on producing fine white glasswares.
By the 20th Century fine glass was being produced at both centres with the Artists spending their time between the two. Some glass series were produced soley at one glassworks and others were produced at both. Each gassworks retained it own name until 1965 when the two merged as one to become Kastrup and Holmegaard A/S. Royal Copenhagen is now the umbrella for the Glassworks.